A short distance from Florence, an ancient and prestigious villa whose traces date back to 1427 with certainty and where Monna Lisa lived: '' La Gioconda ''.
Location & Lifestyle
Scandicci is about 9 km west of Florence and thanks to its proximity to the city and the richness of green areas is one of the highest density of important villas in the Florentine Hinterland.
This beautiful villa, located only 5 kilometers from Florence, is rich in history. From 1498 to 1517 was the property of the powerful Del Giocondo family to which belonged the famous Monna Lisa, wife of Francesco del Giocondo, called "La Gioconda", portrayed by Leonardo Da Vinci around the 1505. From here it seems that Caldo d'Aguglione, Florentine jurist and politician, Dante's contemporary, appears to have been summoned by the Supreme Poet twice in the Divine Comedy as the "Villan d'Aguglion". It was, in fact, Aguglione to issue the judgment, 2 September 1311, which excluded Dante from amnesty, preventing him from returning home from exile.
The property complex is spread over an area of about 20 hectares and consists of a stately villa elevated on three floors above ground and one partially underground as well as several other outbuildings including, the lemon house, the cellars, the orciaia and the garage for a total of about 4000 square meters, while the main body of the villa is about 2800 square meters. The villa consists of 5 salons over a living-dining area on the ground floor, 5 bedrooms with their respective bathrooms and wardrobe rooms, a large library room and a panoramic veranda on the first floor. On the second floor are 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a study and a fitness room in addition to the terrace from which you can see Florence. On the partially buried floor there is a room used as a kitchen, a dining room, two rooms, the splendid hall and the "Medici" gallery which opens directly onto the villa's garden. At this level there are also two rooms used as storage, two bathrooms, two closets, a cellar and a technical room. In addition, there is an intermediate room between the first and second floor for service personnel and consists of three bedrooms, two bathrooms, pantry rooms, kitchen, dining room, laundries, ironing rooms and storage rooms. This exceptional luxury villa enriches the private chapel with a polygonal plan, typical of the prestigious residences of the period and a clear example of 17th century devotional architecture.
In the north part of the garden there is a tennis club with a clubhouse with toilets and changing rooms. In the south-east there is a swimming pool, while in the vicinity of one of the entrances there is the caretaker's home consisting of 4 rooms besides services. A great forest surrounds and protects this dwelling. There are two accesses: the main and the original enters, through an imposing two-door iron gate, into the avenue of cypresses to the Italian garden with ornamental plants and tanks, which was designed by the well-known English architect Cecil Pinsent. which gave him the character of a true park with roses, tall trees and symmetrical flower beds. There is then a double ramp stairway that leads to the level of the home.
Condition and finishes
The present aspect of this prestige property, with its forehead surmounted by an elegant watch, was wanted by the Marchesa Nathalie Antinori at the beginning of 900, which for the important restoration work availed itself of his brother's work, the architect Egisto Paolo Fabbri, architect, artist, but especially great collector of Cézanne, who came to possess 32 paintings of the highest quality.
All the complex is in excellent condition and perfectly maintained, equipped with alarm system connected with control panel, three-line telephone system, gas-fired heating system and summer air-conditioning.
Potential for use
The property, despite its size, can be used as a residence for an important family and without a doubt as a luxury relay or as a representation villa for receptions and events.